Monday, June 1, 2020
Huawei Reacts to Additional U.S. Sanctions
'Huawei Bashing Would Do No Good at All'
Huawei Reacts to Additional U.S. Sanctions
  • By Kim Eun-jin
  • May 19, 2020, 09:06
Share articles

Huawei rotating chairman Guo Ping delivers a keynote speech at Huawei Global Analyst Summit 2020.

Huawei held Huawei Global Analyst Summit 2020 in Shenzhen, China on May 18 and released an official statement on additional U.S. sanctions. On May 15, the U.S. Department of Commerce announced that third-country companies using U.S. technologies and components as well as those having manufacturing facilities in the United States cannot do business with Huawei without U.S. government authorization.

At the summit, Huawei rotating chairman Guo Ping said that the Huawei bashing would do no good at all. “We are providing our services for more than three billion people across the world based on over 1,500 networks in 170 or so countries,” he said, adding, “The sanctions will adversely affect consumers as well as our company.”

The rotating chairman also remarked that the company’s global strategy would be maintained as it is. “Our purchase from the United States added up to US$18 billion last year and the purchase will continue if the U.S. government permits,” he went on to say, adding, “Our company owns approximately 85,000 patents, and yet we will not collect excessive patent fees and will not weaponize the patents.”

Last year, Huawei made an R&D investment of 131.7 billion yuan, equivalent to 15.3 percent of its 2019 sales. The rotating chairman also mentioned that the company would find a solution without difficulty in relation to the long-term sanctions of the United States.