Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Hotel Shilla Becomes the First Korean Hotel to Earn Five Stars
Aspiring to Operate a Global Hotel Franchise
Hotel Shilla Becomes the First Korean Hotel to Earn Five Stars
  • By Choi Moon-hee
  • February 22, 2019, 13:16
Share articles

Forbes Travel Guide for 2019 has listed Hotel Shilla in Seoul as the only five-star hotel in Korea.
Forbes Travel Guide for 2019 has listed Hotel Shilla in Seoul as the only five-star hotel in Korea.

Forbes Travel Guide for 2019 has listed Hotel Shilla in Seoul as the only five-star hotel in Korea, the  hotel said on Feb. 21. Forbes Travel Guide is the world's only authority that rates luxury hotels, restaurants and spas.

The accolade will help Hotel Shilla solidify its position as a global hotel. The hotel’s Korean restaurant La Yeon was honored as a Michelin three-star restaurant for the third consecutive year from 2016 to 2018. La Yeon was selected as the only Michelin three-star restaurant and the only La Liste Top 200 restaurant among restaurants in Korea.

Forbes Travel Guide for 2019 evaluated 1,106 hotels in 50 countries around the world and listed 210 five-star hotels (21 new entries), 534 four-star hotels (49 new entries), 362 recommended hotels (62 new entries).

Mystery travelers who hide their identities visit hotels around the world each year and evaluate its facilities and services based on up to 900 evaluation criteria.

Forbes Travel Guide’s hotel evaluation is 75 percent based on service levels and the remaining 25 percent on facility quality. Mystery travelers of Forbes Travel Guide grade a hotel after staying at it for at least two nights.

Hotel Shilla is planning to advance into Da Nang, Vietnam under the name of Shilla Monogram at the end of this year at the earliest. It also plans to grow into a global hotel franchise by making a foray into over 10 overseas locations such as Southeast Asia, the United States and China.