A Galaxy S10 5G handset caught fire less than a week after purchase, a Korean user claimed in the Samsung Smartphone Cafe in Naver on April 30.
"Samsung Electronics only said that there is a serious external damage to the phone, without saying it would replace it or give me a refund," the user said in a message posted on the café.
Samsung Electronics said that it analyzed the product in question and arrived at the conclusion that the product itself had no problems.
"An X-ray examination found that there was a deeply pressed mark on the phone. We concluded that a strong external impact sparked off the fire," a Samsung Electronics official said.