Friday, June 21, 2019
Will Samsung Source Batteries for Galaxy S8 from Japanese Company?
Battery for Galaxy S8
Will Samsung Source Batteries for Galaxy S8 from Japanese Company?
  • By Cho Jin-young
  • February 3, 2017, 02:30
Share articles

Samsung Electronics is reportedly considering the use of Japanese batteries in its upcoming Galaxy S8 flagship smartphone
Samsung Electronics is reportedly considering the use of Japanese batteries in its upcoming Galaxy S8 flagship smartphone

 

Samsung Electronics is reportedly considering the use of Japanese batteries in its upcoming Galaxy S8 flagship smartphone. This seems a follow-up measure after the company announced to seek for a third battery supplier after the Galaxy Note 7 fiasco last year.

According to Samsung Electronics and industry sources on Feb. 2, the company is considering a plan to be supplied with lithium polymer batteries for the Galaxy S8 to be launched in April from Japan’s Murata Manufacturing Co. Murata Manufacturing acquired Sony's battery manufacturing subsidiary in June last year.

An official from Samsung Electronics said, “We are still discussing whether to use Japanese batteries additionally while using Samsung SDI’s batteries first. We haven’t still decided yet whether to use batteries from China’s ATL at the same time.”

Previously, Samsung Electronics announced that the Galaxy Note 7 handsets caught fire due to separate battery problems but would not make battery manufacturers take legal responsibility for it considering the future relations with the companies. 

Industry watchers predict that the initial batch of the Galaxy S8 will be equipped with batteries from Samsung SDI. However, the company seems to be seeking for a secondary battery supplier in case the market demand exceeds the initial expectations like the Galaxy Note 7. Earlier, Samsung SDI supplied 70 percent of the Galaxy Note 7 batteries, while China’s ATL supplied the remaining 30 percent.