South Korean conglomerate Dongkuk Steel Group Director Chang Sun-ik, who was booked without detention on a charge of going on the rampage in a bar, released a statement of apology in his name on December 27.
Dongkuk Steel said in its official press release on the same day, “We do apologize for having caused you so much anxiety related to a series of incidents caused by director Chang Sun-ik.
Director Chang, the eldest son of group chairman Chang Sae-joo, said in the apology, “I deeply apologize to those who suffered mental and physical damages with my behavior. I realized the magnitude of the problem and I deeply regret what I have done. An unsavory incident occurred while I was drinking with my friends. This was clearly my fault with no excuse so I am sincerely and deeply regretful for what I have done.”
Chang, who was promoted to director of Dongkuk Steel earlier this month, also said to its employees, “I have no excuse for giving a great sense of loss to the company and employees that carried out restructuring with years of hard work and are now preparing for a new leap forward. I do apologize to employees who felt poignant with the news reports.”
Chang had a quarrel with a bar employee over his bill at 8:45 pm on the 26th after he had drinks with his four friends.
According to the police, Chang threw his glass at the shelf in where imported liquor were displayed by reason of unkind attitude of the bar employee. Four bottles of imported liquor were broken in the process. There was no casualties but it caused a property loss of 1 million won (US$829). Accordingly, the Yongsan Police Station in Seoul booked Chang without detention on suspicion of property damage.